The term Long Covid describes the long- term impact of COVID-19 on peoples physical and mental health.
Many people who have appeared to have made a full recovery from the virus or from a previous positive test are finding that they are struggling to regain their normal function and activity, weeks or months, after the initial phase and this happens whether they are at home or hospital. The physical and mental impact of these impairments not only affect the individual, but also family, friends and carers supporting them.
What are the common symptoms of Long Covid?
Although no-one will experience exactly the same difficulties, there are a number of symptoms that have been identified by long-coved sufferers and some may experience one or two, others may have more.
Although, there may be more, the common symptoms are listed below:
- Movement and function - walking stairs
- Difficulty managing daily activities ( e.g. washing and dressing, childcare, cooking. Returning to work)
- Joint stiffness
- Musculoskeletal pain - commonly shoulders, neck and back
- Balance and posture
- Persistent cough
- Psychological - Fear, anxiety, mood and frustration
- Memory and concentration
- Maintaining adequate nutrition or changes in nutritional needs
- Taste, smell
- Voice, swallowing
- Lasting organ damage or cardiovascular impairment
How Physiotherapy with PhysioFunction can help with Long Covid?
Click on symptoms you are experiencing to understand how Physiotherapy can help you.
- Reduced movement and function
- Difficulty with managing daily activities
- Musculoskeletal pain, weakness and joint stiffness
- Lack of balance
- Cough and respiratory impairment
- Nutritional concerns
- Pain Management
As Long Covid symptoms can be different for each person, our team will be able to create a personalised package of care.
The team will be able to discuss your needs and book you in for an initial assessment.